Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) | Website
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Pennsylvania Clean Energy Advocate to join the Eastern Region team of the Climate & Clean Energy Program. This role requires working collaboratively, and in a team-based setting, with both internal and external partners; the ability to represent NRDC in the media and other public forums with credibility and enthusiasm; an interest in cultivating relationships with state and local elected officials and staff and state agencies; and the willingness to travel to Harrisburg, PA and elsewhere to advance NRDC’s policy goals. The ideal candidate will be a resident of Pennsylvania (Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, etc.), or be willing to relocate to Pennsylvania but there is some flexibility on geographic location.
This is a full-time, two-year term-limited position (though there is the possibility that term could be extended subject to project funding).
- Work with NRDC’s Pennsylvania policy team to build support at the state level to equitably advance the organization’s climate and clean energy policy priorities;
- Strengthen, develop and nurture relationships with state decision-makers and elected officials, and build durable partnerships with a network of allies;
- Coordinate with and represent NRDC in broad coalitions of Pennsylvania-based environmental stakeholders;
- Provide written and oral advocacy to further NRDC’s priorities with the Pennsylvania General Assembly, the executive branch, the Public Utility Commission, and the Department of Environmental Protection;
- Serve as the key spokesperson in the press for NRDC’s climate and clean energy mission in Pennsylvania, including partnering with the Communications team to respond to media requests and to develop advocacy materials to amplify NRDC’s message;
- Collaborate with a multi-faceted internal team of campaign, communications, public engagement, and policy experts at NRDC to further the organization’s state and federal policy priorities;
- Work with the Climate & Clean Energy Program’s Eastern Region Directors, Pennsylvania Policy Director, and other members of the team, as appropriate, to set strategic goals and priorities for Pennsylvania, budgets and timelines, and effectively manage a state budget and deploy consultants and partners to meet project timelines and objectives;
- Conduct policy research and analysis to develop and support positions;
- Collaborate with other NRDC staff and diverse stakeholders on regional efforts to advance multi-state climate and clean energy policies such as the Transportation Climate Initiative (TCI) and Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI);
- Coordinate utility outreach efforts in the Mid-Atlantic to advance our clean energy goals;
- Be a central part of a strong and collegial team that is focused on collaboration, approaches advocacy with innovation and optimism, and is committed to using the full range of expertise within NRDC and among its partners to drive change.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in relevant field;
- 3-5 years’ experience related to environment, climate or energy policy;
- Experience cultivating relationships at the governmental, regulatory, or legislative levels, as well as demonstrated success managing projects and engaging in public advocacy may substitute for policy expertise;
- Track record of success in navigating diverse coalitions, building consensus on policy issues and driving toward positive outcomes within a team, in a coalition, and with other external partners;
- A sense of mission and passion for public interest and environmental advocacy;
- Interest in state and federal political issues;
- Broad-based interest in climate and clean energy work, including the ability to quickly get up to speed on NRDC’s policy and campaign priorities;
- Ability to represent NRDC with maturity, judgment and professionalism;
- Strong oral and written advocacy skills, including a willingness to represent NRDC in a variety of public forums and in the media;
- Willingness and ability to register as a state lobbyist;
- Flexibility to travel to (or be based in) Harrisburg, as well as other locations in Pennsylvania, to NRDC’s offices, and to other U.S. locations as needed.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply click here.