American Water | Website
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Reports to the State or Corporate Engineering Lead / Engineering Manager and is responsible for strategic long term water and wastewater system facility planning and water resource development. Tasks include evaluating the condition, performance and capacity of water and wastewater system assets. Tasks also include developing the scope of capital improvement projects or approaches to address complex issues related to water supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission, and wastewater collection, pumping and treatment with an emphasis on water and energy efficiency and sustainability. The analysis and recommended solutions could have a major impact on the performance and operational integrity of water and wastewater systems within American Water. A Senior Planning Engineer has technical and project management supervision over consulting Project
Managers/Engineers, and/or project support engineers or technicians. This position is also responsible for conducting or reviewing water system capacity and service evaluations associated with potential service growth opportunities. Prepare or assist in the preparation of detailed asset investment and asset management plans considering the cost, timing, prioritization, operational need and risk, strategic investment fit and other pertinent factors surrounding individual projects or investment programs.
- Coordination, project management, and preparation of strategic water system master planning studies (comprehensive or targeted, issue based studies as appropriate) as assigned. (50%)
- Preparation and maintenance of asset investment plans, energy and water efficiency studies, strategic capital expenditure plans, and asset management plans as assigned. Plans to accurately address operational needs, operational efficiencies, asset management and strategic investment goals set by the Corporation based upon prioritization models. (20%)
- System capacity evaluations, analysis of source, treatment, pumping, distribution, storage, or other system deficiencies as assigned to support ongoing operations, service extension requests or regional growth opportunities. (10%)
- Ability to serve as a competent technical resource on Water and Wastewater System Master Planning matters including identifying scope of needed capital improvement projects, performing safe yield analysis, developing water use projections, assessing adequacy of water and wastewater treatment, transmission and distribution, performing computerized hydraulic modeling and analysis, assessing water and energy efficiency, and/or other pertinent subjects as needed to support operational and business needs.
- Present results of engineering analysis to interested parties within and outside of the company, including expert testimony, presentations to Regulatory agencies and Senior Company Management. (10%)
- Presents results of engineering analysis to interested parties within and outside of the company, including expert testimony, presentations to Regulatory agencies and Senior Company Management. (5%)
- Pursues educational opportunities and professional development to enhance performance and contributions to the organization. (5%)
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business. (5%)
Knowledge / Skills
- Demonstrated competency in asset planning, water system master planning, water or energy efficiency studies, distribution system hydraulic modeling or equivalent water system design experience.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering (planning, design, construction) related to water.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality, treatment and Engineering economics.
- Applicable knowledge of water resources industry, business and environmental regulatory field. Knowledge of Company Operations.
- Leadership ability and interpersonal skills, as well as, strong verbal and written communication skills and keen listening abilities.
- Detail oriented to conduct through analysis and evaluations, render and implement timely decisions and recommendations.
- Champions safety
- Cultivates innovation
- Customer obsessed
- Drives Results
- Nimble learning
Experience / Education
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Advanced Management or Technical Degree with focus on water and energy efficiency and sustainability is preferred.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
- Envision Sustainability Professional Certification (ENV SP) is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years experience in water resources planning or water resources sustainability and energy efficiency.
Up to 20%.
80 % Primarily in the office with occasional work in the field at treatment facilities to conduct site investigations, review construction, and support facility start-up/commissioning.
To apply click here.