Weavers Way Coop | Website
Reporting to the Retail Director, the Sustainability Coordinator will help guide the coop towards the highest possible levels of environmental responsibility. This includes providing administrative and organizational support including establishing a sustainability plan, educating staff, members, vendors and community in sustainable practices.
Interacts internally with Leadership team, Management team, staff, Board Members, Co-op members, customers, neighbors, and vendors. Interacts externally with NCGA, organizations practicing sustainability, governmental agencies and service providers. The Sustainability Coordinator will be considered the primary contact to NCGA sustainability programs.
- Coordinate with staff and membership of sustainability issues that concern or affect the Co-op.
- Assists and monitors management efforts to improve sustainability.
- Represent co-op staff on the co-op’s Environmental Committee and serve as liaison between the committee and staff.
- Review all utility bills including gas, water and electric. Monitor facility temperatures and equipment readings and makes adjustments as necessary. Responsible for controlling energy use by maximizing the efficiency of the co-op’s water and energy use.
- Incorporate waste tracking, reduction and packaging safety protocols in sustainability training for staff and the Employee Handbook.
- Work with retail team to incorporate sustainability values and goals in vendor and product selection.
- Responsible for sourcing packaging for the Co-op.
- The Sustainability Coordinator will work to source packaging that will continue our work to reduce our environmental impact. In addition, the SC responsible for sourcing traditional packaging that best meets the needs of our products/departments.
- Establish & implement Sustainability Plan:
- Create key indicators and metrics including set improvement goals, train staff and otherwise create mechanisms to achieve goals, analyze and report on Sustainability Plan effectiveness.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Weavers Way Co-operative Association
- Knowledge of sustainability issues, specifically around food/retail food environment
- Knowledge of sustainability resources
- Exhibited ability to work well in a team setting
- Strong organizational skills, ability to set priorities and multi-task
- Strong communication, presentation and writing skills
- Ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment when necessary
- Ability to follow through on commitments in a timely manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word/Google Docs required
- Proficiency in electronic systems used for communication
- Ability to handle office equipment, including copier and fax
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs
- Be (or become upon hiring) a member in good standing of Weavers Way Co-op
For more information, click here.