Vicinity Energy | Website
With 13 networks in 10 major cities, Vicinity Energy is North America’s largest provider of district energy solutions, offering energy investment, infrastructure and management to municipal, commercial and institutional customers with mission-critical energy needs. Our 450+ skilled engineers, operators and energy experts have a singular dedication to our customers’ success and a relentless focus on delivering efficient energy, resilient management and operation of cooling and heating networks, the production of green energy and carbon footprint reductions for the customers and communities in which we serve.
The Distribution Mechanic will inspect and repair underground piping, manholes, vaults, anchors, expansion joints, and auxiliary equipment such as meters, steam traps, pressure regulating valves (PRV), safety valves, heat exchangers and pipe fittings. Additionally the Distribution Mechanic will inspect high pressure steam pipes for leakage or other defects. Duties include but aren’t limited to:
- Perform shop and field repair of carbon steel pipe in accordance with the requirements of ASME B31 code for pressure piping. Welding must be able to pass X-ray examination of welded joints
- Perform basic pipefitting, structural welding and burning operations
- Required to work in hot areas and confined spaces, climb ladders, and / or stairs
- Required to work in all adverse conditions, both indoors and outdoors all seasons
- Required to wear a half face respirator or powered air respirators (PAPR) where proper safety procedures warrant their use
- Required to lift and / or operate machinery, tools, etc., weighing up to 50 pounds, unassisted
- Perform winter turn-on and summer shut-offs of customer steam service following specific procedures.
- Read main distribution map to locate steam lines, identifying depth and pitch of line, marking location of line for PA1Calls.
Note: The job can be physically demanding involving movement of heavy equipment and carrying materials up and down stairs. Candidates should be able to lift and maneuver a 50-lb load.
Required Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- 3 years’ experience directly related to a proficiency at pipefitting, pipe welding, structural welding and burning operations
- Thorough understanding of the repair and principles of operation for: pumping devices, valves, PRVS, traps, piping systems, expansion joints, anchors, HVAC systems
- Knowledge of steam distribution systems with understanding of properties of steam
- Ability to locate all system manholes per gridbook
- Requires a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Able to work shift changes to support plant and customer operations and as assigned
- Ability to tolerate confined spaces, tolerate heights, climb ladders, lift heavy equipment and carry materials up and down stairs with the capacity of lifting 50 pounds
- Take on-call on a rotating basis
- Must be willing to become a Bargaining Unit Member of the IBEW Local 614
To apply click here.