The Energy Co-op | Website
Member Services Intern
Noah Swistak, Member Services Lead
About The Energy Co-op
The Energy Co-op is a sustainability-focused 501(c)(12) nonprofit cooperative providing renewable electricity, renewable natural gas, and heating oil services to thousands of households and small businesses in southeastern Pennsylvania, northern Delaware, and river counties in New Jersey. As a member-owned cooperative, our customers are our owners. We are a team-based environment that prides itself on collaboration and employee development.
The Member Services Intern will support the success of our membership retention strategy and ensure an outstanding member experience by focusing primarily on providing quality service and communications. The individual in this role must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and enjoy frequent engagement with the cooperative’s members, typically by email and telephone. In addition, candidates must be able to understand and harmonize member needs with cooperative strategies and goals. The successful candidate will be highly organized, keenly empathetic, and able to effectively execute a variety of day-to-day responsibilities in tandem with providing assistance to longer term strategic projects and priorities. Finally, the individual will be comfortable working as part of a small team while also possessing a level of initiative that allows them to be highly productive when working independently.
The Member Services Intern can expect to gain valuable training and professional experience in a public-facing role, as well as an extensive understanding of renewable energy markets, procurement, and supply. Training on retail renewable electricity will foster an understanding of energy supply chain, regulated and deregulated supply markets, government supports, and The Energy Co-op’s procurement of renewable electricity. Training on retail renewable natural gas (RNG) will include an understanding of its demand, supply and usage, shale production and environment concerns, and The Energy Co-op’s procurement of RNG.
Member Services Interns will gain firsthand experience with the administration and operations of a member-owned cooperative, and develop network connections through The Energy Co-op’s members, partners, vendors, staff, and board members. There will also be opportunities to pursue projects related to the individual’s particular interests and skillsets.
- Field, understand, resolve, and escalate (as appropriate) incoming member telephone and email inquiries
- Collaborate with other Member Services Interns and staff to handle customary, recurring member queries and enroll new members
- Handle routine membership activities including service activity processing
- Facilitate the cooperative’s member journey across all programs
- Become expert on The Energy Co-op’s programs and member benefits
- Assist in development of outgoing member communications and engagement efforts
- Support development and delivery of social media content, member e- and traditional mailings related to energy service, newsletters, and blog posts
- Provide insight to Member Services Lead to cultivate a more cohesive, robust member experience through increased engagement efforts and enhanced member benefits
- Maintain accurate, comprehensive data in appropriate software platforms
- Aid in execution of member events and special projects as needed
- Work with Member Services Lead to track KPIs for membership retention and engagement
- Bachelor’s degree or final year of bachelor’s degree program
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent member/customer service skills
- Intermediate experience managing high-visibility commercial social media accounts
- Ability to synthesize and communicate information effectively
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Based in the Greater Philadelphia area
- At least two years of experience in a business-to-consumer environment, or in member/customer services
- Experience or academic background in renewable energy and/or environmental studies
- Process oriented with strong logical thinking skills
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and up to three references, to Noah Swistak, Member Services Lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and use Member Services Intern as the subject line. Tell us how you learned about this position and why you think you’d be a good fit. Review of applications will be conducted on a rolling basis and the internship will remain available until filled. No telephone calls, in-person applications, or recruiters, please. Note that interns are expected to supply their own telephone and reliable internet service for this position, as all or a portion of duties will be carried out remotely from a home office. A computer will be provided to be used for tasks required of the role.
Hours, Compensation & Benefits
This is a part-time, non-exempt, paid internship position for 20 hours per week, with tenure extending through December 31, 2021. Hourly rate will be determined by The Energy Co-op and based upon candidate experience. The Energy Co-op prides itself on providing a high-quality work-life balance with competitive compensation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Energy Co-op is an equal opportunity employer. Policy prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, age, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. Further, The Energy Co-op supports and promotes equal employment opportunity, human dignity, and all forms of diversity.
COVID-19 Operating Notice
Due to the pandemic, our staff is currently working remotely. Depending on when this position is filled, the selected candidate may be required to work remotely for an indeterminate period of time and will require a safe, quiet, designated remote space from which they can perform their responsibilities without distraction during business hours