The Energy Co-op | Website
Date Available: 1/27/2023
Start Date: 4/3/2023
Job Title: Membership Manager
Supervisor: Executive Director
About The Energy Co-op
The Energy Co-op is a sustainability-focused 501(c)(12) nonprofit cooperative providing renewable electricity, renewable natural gas, and heating oil services to thousands of households and small businesses in southeastern Pennsylvania, northern Delaware, and river counties in New Jersey. As a member-owned cooperative, our members are our owners. We are a team-based environment that prides itself on collaboration and employee development.
The Membership Manager leads the success of our membership growth and engagement. This role will manage new member recruitment and retention strategies and ensure quality experiences for prospective and current members, focusing primarily on outreach, services, and communications. The successful candidate must have excellent verbal and written communications skills and must truly enjoy engaging with prospective members, partners, and members on a daily basis. In addition, the candidate must be able to understand and balance prospect and member needs with organizational strategies. The successful candidate will be highly organized, process oriented with strong logical thinking skills, keenly empathetic, and able to effectively manage myriad day-to-day responsibilities in tandem with longer- term strategic projects and priorities. The Membership Manager will possess a demonstrated ability to manage direct reports, and will be comfortable working both within a small team and independently.
Member Recruitment (50%):
- Develop and execute annual member recruitment strategy to meet membership growth targets
- Manage inbound commercial prospect inquiries end-to-end, communicating with prospects, coordinating custom quote process with other staff, and ultimately converting prospects into members
- Craft and execute outbound recruitment campaigns to grow membership and expand market share, especially in markets with limited Energy Co-op presence
- Manage and maintain prospect database, ensuring detailed and organized tracking of prospects
- Monitor and evaluate online prospect experience to help optimize web recruitment success
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with mission-aligned organizations and existing commercial members aimed at reciprocal Energy Co-op and partner growth
- Manage, grow, and develop Member Ambassador program, providing ambassadors resources and opportunities to help expand The Energy Co-op’s reach and membership
- Represent The Energy Co-op at community event and recruitment events, educating about renewable programs and enrolling new members
Member Services and Retention (20%):
- Develop and execute annual member service and retention strategy to enhance member experience
- Cultivate a cohesive, robust member experience through increased member engagement efforts, seeking opportunities to improve member experience and develop ideas for new member benefits to increase the value of membership with The Energy Co-op
- Resolve high priority member phone and email inquiries not otherwise settled by Membership Coordinator or Member Services Interns
- Serve as subject matter expert on The Energy Co-op’s programs and member benefits
- Manage all outgoing member communications and engagement efforts, including The Current monthly newsletter, The Current blog, program updates, and ad hoc member messaging
- Evaluate and improve the member journey across all energy programs
- Plan and execute the Annual Member Meeting and Board of Directors election in June each year
- Plan and execute in-person and virtual member educational and social events striving for fresh and relevant content helping our members stay informed
- Conduct member surveys, polling, feedback sessions, and focus groups
- Ensure robust, accurate membership recordkeeping in Salesforce CRM for regulatory compliance and historical record
Personnel Management (30%):
- Supervise Membership Coordinator, providing management support, growth and development opportunities, and constructive feedback for improvement
- Lead regular check-in meetings to discuss near-term business as well as discussions for longer-term planning
- Conduct Membership Coordinator’s annual evaluation
- Recruit, train, and oversee Member Services interns, providing opportunities to learn about the industry and The Energy Co-op business model, develop professional skills in a constructive workplace, participate in projects of individual interest, produce published content, and build networks for career development
- Lead regular check-in meetings to ensure interns have requisite support and guidance
- Bachelor’s degree in business/public/nonprofit management or related field of study
- At least 6 years of experience in business-to-consumer environment, including 2 years in a membership management role
- At least 1-2 years of experience in B2B and B2C membership recruitment or sales
- Experience establishing and managing partnerships with mission-aligned organizations
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent member/customer service skills
- Intermediate Salesforce CRM or other database user experience
- Intermediate Constant Contact user experience
- Ability to synthesize and communicate information effectively
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend member and community events
- Experience or academic background in renewable energy, environmental studies, and/or sustainability
- Experience developing, improving, and evaluating member/customer journeys related to one or more products or services
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter addressed to Hillary Bedeian, Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and use Membership Manager as the subject line. Tell us how you learned about this position, why you think you are a good fit, and your salary requirements. Review of applications will be conducted on a rolling basis and the position will remain available until filled. No telephone calls, in-person applications, or recruiters, please.
Hours, Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Starting salary is contingent upon experience. The Energy Co-op is committed to providing staff with a competitive benefits package, which includes employer-subsidized medical, vision and dental insurance plans, paid time off and company holidays, short- and long-term disability insurance, a retirement plan with employer matching, and professional development funds. The organization prides itself on providing a high-quality work environment with work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Energy Co-op is an equal opportunity employer. Policy prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, age, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. Further, The Energy Co-op supports and promotes equal employment opportunity, human dignity, and all forms of diversity.
The Energy Co-op staff currently works on a remote and in-person hybrid basis, with most work performed remotely. Until further notice, employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may choose to work in the office or remotely and unvaccinated employees must work remotely. As circumstances change, staff members may be required to work from the office for a specified number of days during the week. When working remotely, the selected candidate will – during normal business hours – be expected to 1) be available for virtual meetings, teleconferences, and calls and (2) be required to designate a safe, quiet remote space from which they can perform their responsibilities without distraction. A laptop computer, docking station, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and riser are provided by The Energy Co-op to be used solely for tasks required of the position. The selected candidate is expected to supply their own mobile telephone and reliable internet service for this position.
For more information click here.