University of Pennsylvania | Website
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
Utilities Operation Manager
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
The Division of Facilities and Real Estate Services (FRES) provides the expertise, business process, policies and standards required to plan, design, construct, operate, maintain and renew the physical assets of the University, excluding the health system. In addition, the Division, comprised of approximately five Departments, is responsible for the strategic planning, management and operation of non-academic University property, and collaborating with the neighborhood to create a safe, diverse and economically vibrant destination. With close to 12M square feet of space, FRES maintains 186 buildings on a campus of 276 acres, completes over 60,000 maintenance requests per year, and starts approximately 250 projects a year. FRES is comprised of the following Departments: Administration, Office of the University Architect, Design and Construction, Real Estate, Operations and Maintenance.
The University of Pennsylvania is implementing a campus transformation entitled Penn Connects (http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu). This comprehensive, award winning effort is expanding the campus over the next 20 years, including the construction of new academic research and recreational facilities. In addition, the University has secured $300M in Century Bond funding and continues to upgrade existing facilities over the coming years. https://www.facilities.upenn.edu/
Utilities Operations Manager
Under the general direction of the Director of Trades, Utilities Manager supervises and advises upon operations of electrical, HVAC and water utilities throughout campus with a budget of $10 million for operations and maintenance of utility infrastructure. This position is responsible for efficient, reliable, and cost-effective generation and distribution of thermal and electrical utilities to the campus buildings’ mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (IMEP) systems and energy efficient use of the utilities by such MEP systems in accordance with federal, state and local standards and regulations and in a manner which protects and preserves the environment and public health. Manages personnel including Operations Control Center (5 Supervisors and MEP Operations and Repair team of 4 Supervisors) who respond to, execute and complete customer service requests and other requests for special work. Ensures staff, contractors and vendors meet contractual requirements and industry standards/best practices.
Provide safe work environments for employees, visitors and customers.
This complex utilities infrastructure includes:
- Chilled Water: 12 chillers at two central plants capable of producing over 53K tons of chilled water distributed thru 16 miles of piping holding 5 million gallons of water.
- Electricity: 13.2 KV electricity hy PECO to 7 dual fed campus substations.
- Steam: Supplied hy Veolia Energy thru -9 miles of underground piping & 130 manholes capable of providing up lo 400,000 lbs of steam per hour.
- Water/ Sewer: Supplied by Philadelphia Water Department.
- Natural Gas: Supplied by the Philadelphia Gas Works.
- Building Systems: MEP systems in 189 instructional, research, administrative, and residential buildings containing 14 million GSF or space.
- Position requires 10 + years of building/plant engineering/operational experience and knowledge of City/State Codes, and ASHRE standards with a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field.
- Demonstrated experience operating and managing mechanical, electrical, plumbing and utility (generation and distribution) systems. Must have 3-5 years if demonstrated experience and knowledge in managing and supervising multi-skilled technical groups and engineers, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing, multi-skilled technical groups and engineers. Must be detailed oriented, computer proficient, with demonstrated supervisory skills.
- Strong communication skills and a proven record of providing excellent internal and external customer service Knowledge of control room, operations, SCADA, BAS systems is desired.
Job Location – City, State
Department / School
Facilities and Real Estate Services
$72,837.00 – $138,391.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
To apply click here.